There have been many discussions – on this site and on Facebook – in recent weeks about how best to provide facilities in the village for young people. The time has come to turn these discussions into a proper plan that works for everyone!Ideas of what people would like to see – or are concerned about – in these discussions have included:
– a youth centre/club/drop in service in the Parish Rooms or even the empty building at the top of Main Street (the ‘Pavement Cafe’)
– an outdoor skate park, basketball court, seating area, exercise trail or other facility for teenagers
– improvements to the children’s play area on the village green
– improvements to the football goalpost on the village green
– organised trips to youth facilities in other parts of the borough
What do you think the young people of the village need?
There is some funding available through the council for infrastructure for youth facilities; enthusiasm from the Parish Council; a few willing volunteer parents and other organisations in the village who could help make things happen (although appropriate land for any external facilities remains unresolved) – plus massive interest from villagers.
So now is the time to discuss this and make something happen.
Three ways to get involved…
1. Cllr Richard Holt, chair of the Parish Council, has told dickensheath.net that a public meeting will be held to discuss this further. Details will be confirmed as soon as possible.
2. Comment on what you would like to see below this story
3. And if you have a young person in your family (between 11-18) who would like to be part of a consultative group on this topic, email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.